On Tato Steel IJmuiden a change has been needed for quite some time. The change needed was to change old winch from DC to AC to be able to get full redundancy. There was also a need to get shorter cycle time and better control.
Supplier selection - CG Drives & Automation
Tata Steel chose CG Drives & Automation, among several suppliers. They chose us because they thought we have extensive experience and the best technical expertise. Tata Steel also felt that we were willing to; as they put it, go that extra mile.
DC drive 525V/Imax=1250A
Maximum speed 5m/s
2 Emotron cabinets with 690V 750A liquid cooled drives brake chopper redundant with cross cabinet
2 x motor: 450 kW / 690V / 600 rpm
cast-resin transformers 6kV / 690V, 630kVA, 12-pulse separate cool unit
The challenge with this project has been a lot such as defect IGBT, explosion in 6kV transformer. Tata Steel was afraid to make the change as they feared consequential damages. The overdue maintenance of the extinguishing winch system enhanced was also a challenge.
Higher speed and better control
With two liquid cooled cabinets Tata steel are now able to run the extinguishing winch with fully redundancy.
They have better control over the kart mounted to the winch, during the acceleration and deceleration process. Also the cycle time declined due to higher speed and better control. This solution is in use since the beginning of 2012. To ensure operation Tata Steel also uses our response and maintenance contract.
Tata Steel Ijmuiden, Ijmuiden, The Netherlands
- Defect IGBT*, insulated gate bipolar transistor
- Explosion in 6 kV transformer
- Fear of consequential damages
- Overdue maintenance of the extinguishing winch system
- 2 Emotron cabinets with 690V 750A liquid cooled drives
- brake chopper
- redundant with cross cabinet
- 2 x motor: 450 kW / 690V / 600 rpm
- cast-resin transformers 6kV / 690V, 630kVA, 12-pulse sep. cool unit
- Higher speed
- Better control
* Potential defects inside an insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) module can be seen as precursors of being about to wear out, and are important for health monitoring of the IGBT module which is used to enhance reliability.